5. Becton, Dickinson
$10.5 million in research payments to doctors and teaching hospitals (2018)
Big 100 rank: 16
BD does not disclose total R&D spending in annual 10-K reports.
0.1% of annual revenue ($8,616,000,000)
Top doctor payments
The top five payments to doctors in the U.S. totaled $231,580 and mostly went toward studying needles and molecular testing.
- $113,965 related to research study involving BD Nano pen needles;
- $44,625 associated with a research study involving the BD Viper molecular testing system;
- $28,272 for a medical system study;
- $25,418 for a BD Nano research study;
- $19,300 involving a BD Viper research study.
Top teaching hospital paymentsThe top five payments to teaching hospitals in the U.S. totaled $604,487.
- $178,457 for a research study involving the BD Max molecular diagnostic system, which performs nucleic acid extraction and real-time PCR;
- $136,305 associated with a BD Viper research study;
- $120,528 for a research study involving BD Kiestra lab automation solutions;
- $86,534 for a diagnostic systems research study;
- $82,663 related to a research study involving the BD Max.