$8.2 million in research payments to doctors and teaching hospitals (2018)
Big 100 rank: 9
1% of R&D spending ($862 million)
0.1% of annual revenue ($13.6 billion)
Top doctor payments
The top five payments to doctors totaled $261,107 and went toward Sage products and orthopedic devices.
- $81,284 related to the Sage warmer in the Huang Shield OC research study;
- $57,834 associated with the Sage warmer in the Lin Protect OC research study;
- $49,083 for the Sage warmer in the Huang Shield OC research study;
- $36,453 in two individual payments related to Tritanium hips and Triathlon knees for research to study the outcome of the devices.
Top teaching hospital payments
The top five payments to teaching hospitals totaled $949,917 and went toward the Mako robotic system, cardiac and orthopedic devices.
- $393,104 associated with the Target detachable coils, used to treat neurovascular aneurysms and peripheral embolization;
- $192,375 for a post-market study of robot-assisted, total knee arthroplasty using Stryker’s Mako system;
- $133,041 for a research study on the Target detachable coil;
- $131,397 associated with a research study on the Atlas stent;
- $100,000 for a research study involving Mako robotic surgery systems.