$23.2 million in research payments to doctors and teaching hospitals (2018)
Big 100 rank: 11
Abbott does not disclose R&D spending in annual 10-K reports
0.2% of annual revenue ($11.4 billion)
Top doctor payments
The top five payments to doctors in the U.S. totaled $655,329 and went toward diagnostic and cardiac device studies.
- $102,280 for a research study related to Alere Triage immunoassay;
- $67,412 for research related to using an Alere assay with the Architect diagnostic system to help diagnose heart failure;
- $54,547 for research involving Alere Triage immunoassay;
- $37,737 for research related to an Alere assay, the Architect system and diagnosing heart failure;
- $29,580 for research related to an Alere assay, the Architect system and diagnosing heart failure.
Top teaching hospital payments
The top five payments to teaching hospitals in the U.S. totaled $655,329 and went toward cardiac and vascular devices.
- $185,086 for a multicenter randomized trial comparing optical coherence tomography (OCT) guided coronary stent implantation to angiography;
- $134,993 for a research study involving Architect diagnostic systems that explored viral strain diversity in the Democratic Republic of Congo;
- $111,750, in three individual payments, for a research study involving the MitraClip transcatheter mitral valve repair system.