Healthcare Reform requires a foundation of healthcare IT in order to be successful. Improving quality, safety and efficiency requires:
- Universal adoption of EHRs
- Frictionless exchange of healthcare information with patient consent
- Widespread use of Personal Health Records
- Analytics to support quality and cost measurement
- Decision Support to deliver the right care at the right time
The SCOTUS decision to uphold the healthcare reform law ensures that these foundational components will still have urgency, since every provider organization will be motivated to implement them in order thrive in the healthcare marketplace of the future.
In addition to his CIO role at BIDMC, Dr. Halamka blogs at GeekDoctor.blogspot.com.