Our Weekly Checkup takes the temperature of the medical device industry’s three largest U.S. clusters: Massachusetts, California and Minnesota.
The MassDevice Indices are weighted according to market capitalization, based on the number of shares outstanding for each company and each Friday’s closing share price.
The Massachusetts index for the week ended Oct. 15 closed at 5.57, up 2.5 percent compared with the prior week. Since Jan. 1, 2009, when we began tracking these companies, the index has risen 25.7 percent.
The Minnesota index for the week ended Oct. 15 closed at 3.44, up 0.1 percent compared with the prior week. Since Jan. 1, 2009, when we began tracking these companies, the index has risen 16.7 percent.
The California index for the week ended Oct. 15 closed at 8.22, down 1.8 percent compared with the prior week. Since Jan. 1, 2009, when we began tracking these companies, the index has risen 93.7 percent.
We also create a composite index of the three regional indices and compare it with four other indices (the S&P 500, the Dow Jones Industrial Average, the Dow’s IHI medical devices index and the NASDAQ exchange):
The Weekly Checkup also compares Monday morning’s opening share prices with their value when the markets close Friday afternoon to calculate the biggest gainers and losers.
Here are the 20 firms that posted the biggest share price gains and losses during the week ended Oct. 15:
The 10 biggest gainers:
- Biopure Corp.: 100.00% (open $0.01; close $0.02)
- HepaLife Technologies: 26.32% (open $0.10; close $0.12)
- Hypertension Diagnostics Inc.: 23.63% (open $0.07; close $0.09)
- Interleukin Genetics Inc.: 20.29% (open $0.34; close $0.409)
- Cardiogenesis Corp.: 12.03% (open $0.24; close $0.27)
- Biolase Technology Inc.: 9.09% (open $1.54; close $1.68)
- Imaging3 Inc.: 7.02% (open $0.285; close $0.305)
- Pressure BioSciences Inc.: 4.35% (open $1.61; close $1.68)
- World Heart Inc.: 4.27% (open $2.34; close $2.44)
- Cardica Inc.: 2.42% (open $2.07; close $2.12)
And the 10 biggest losers:
- Patient Safety Technologies Inc.: -22.62% (open $0.84; close $0.65)
- Urologix Inc.: -16.47% (open $0.88; close $0.74)
- Acusphere Inc.: -16.46% (open $0.08; close $0.066)
- Cynosure Inc.: -4.66% (open $10.94; close $10.43)
- Alphatec Holdings Inc.: -4.58% (open $2.62; close $2.50)
- Vascular Solutions Inc.: -4.51% (open $11.52; close $11.00)
- Athenahealth Inc.: -4.48% (open $33.92; close $32.40)
- Natus Medical Inc.: -3.57% (open $14.83; close $14.30)
- Analogic Corp.: -2.96% (open $46.35; close $44.98)
- Iris International Inc.: -2.90% (open $9.67; close $9.39)
Disclaimer: MassDevice.com’s rankings do not reflect an opinion of companies’ health, prospects or viability. They are intended to provide a snapshot of publicly traded medical device companies and in no way constitute a recommendation to buy or sell any particular security, portfolio of securities, transaction or investment strategy.