Our Weekly Checkup takes the temperature of the medical device industry’s three largest U.S. clusters: Massachusetts, California and Minnesota.
The MassDevice Indices are weighted according to market capitalization, based on the number of shares outstanding for each company from its most recent quarterly report and each Friday’s closing share price.
The Massachusetts index for the week ended Oct. 30 closed at 5.0, up 10.1 percent compared with the prior week. Since Jan. 1, when we began tracking these companies, the index has risen 12.9 percent.
The Minnesota index for the week ended Oct. 30 closed at 3.2, down 1.7 percent compared with the prior week. Since Jan. 1, when we began tracking these companies, the index has risen 10 percent.
The California index for the week ended Oct. 30 closed at 6.4, down 10 percent compared with the prior week. Since Jan. 1, when we began tracking these companies, the index has risen 51.6 percent.
We also create a composite index of the three regional indices and compare it with four other indices (the S&P 500, the Dow Jones Industrial Average, the Dow’s IHI medical devices index and the NASDAQ exchange):
The Weekly Checkup also compares Monday morning’s opening share prices with their value when the markets close Friday afternoon to calculate the biggest gainers and losers.
Here are the 20 firms that posted the biggest share price gains and losses during the week ended Oct. 23:
The 10 biggest gainers:
- Argonaut Technologies Inc.: 100.00% (open $0.01; close $0.02)
- Imaging3 Inc.: 40.00% (open $0.50; close $0.70)
- HepaLife Technologies: 36.00% (open $0.25; close $0.34)
- Patient Safety Technologies Inc.: 23.13% (open $1.34; close $1.65)
- Clinical Data Inc.: 17.94% (open $15.89; close $18.74)
- Caliper Life Sciences: 13.62% (open $2.57; close $2.92)
- AMICAS Inc.: 12.32% (open $3.49; close $3.92)
- Brooks Automation Inc.: 12.08% (open $7.20; close $8.07)
- Conceptus Inc.: 11.85% (open $17.04; close $19.06)
- BioSphere Medical Inc.: 10.60% (open $3.02; close $3.34)
And the 10 biggest losers:
- Viking Medical Systems Inc.: -50.00% (open $0.02; close $0.01)
- Hypertension Diagnostics Inc.: -21.43% (open $0.14; close $0.11)
- Acusphere Inc.: -20.00% (open $0.15; close $0.12)
- Enteromedics Inc.: -11.00% (open $1.00; close $0.89)
- St Jude Medical Inc.(St Jude Medical) : -10.29% (open $38.01; close $34.10)
- Endologix Inc.: -10.05% (open $6.07; close $5.46)
- Biolase Technology Inc.: -8.14% (open $2.21; close $2.03)
- American Shared Hospital Services : -7.58% (open $2.77; close $2.56)
- AdvanSource Biomaterials Corp.: -6.67% (open $0.30; close $0.28)
- Quick-Med Technologies Inc.: -6.25% (open $0.80; close $0.75)
Disclaimer: MassDevice.com’s rankings do not reflect an opinion of companies’ health, prospects or viability. They are intended to provide a snapshot of publicly traded medical device companies and in no way constitute a recommendation to buy or sell any particular security, portfolio of securities, transaction or investment strategy.