Our Weekly Checkup takes the temperature of the medical device industry’s three largest U.S. clusters: Massachusetts, California and Minnesota.
The MassDevice Indices are weighted according to market capitalization, based on the number of shares outstanding for each company and each Friday’s closing share price.
The Massachusetts index for the week ended July 22 closed at 6.41, exactly flat compared with the prior week. Since Jan. 1, 2009, when we began tracking these companies, the index has risen 44.7 percent.
The Minnesota index for the week ended July 22 closed at 37.8, up 4.7 percent compared with the prior week. Since Jan. 1, 2009, when we began tracking these companies, the index has risen 37.8 percent.
The California index for the week ended July 22 closed at 12.20, up 3.9 percent compared with the prior week. Since Jan. 1, 2009, when we began tracking these companies, the index has risen 156.3 percent [Eds. note: This wee we updated our California index to reflect the acquisitions of Cardiogenesis Corp., Clarient Inc., Emergent Group Inc. (PDF), Micrus Endovascular Corp. and SenoRx Inc. This accounts for the index’s increase this week, and for the increase reflected below in the composite MassDevice Index].
We also create a composite index of the three regional indices and compare it with four other indices (the S&P 500, the Dow Jones Industrial Average, the Dow’s IHI medical devices index and the NASDAQ exchange):
The Weekly Checkup also compares Monday morning’s opening share prices with their value when the markets close Friday afternoon to calculate the biggest gainers and losers.
Here are the 20 firms that posted the biggest share price gains and losses during the week ended July 22:
The 10 biggest gainers:
- Pressure BioSciences Inc.: 17.65% (open $0.68; close $0.8)
- World Heart Inc. : 16.67% (open $0.84; close $0.98)
- AdvanSource Biomaterials Corp.: 12.5% (open $0.08; close $0.09)
- Cambridge Heart Inc.: 11.11% (open $0.18; close $0.2)
- HepaLife Technologies: 7.87% (open $0.089; close $0.096)
- Athenahealth Inc.: 5.72% (open $54; close $57.09)
- Pro-Dex Inc. : 4.06% (open $1.97; close $2.05)
- Cerus Corp. : 3.89% (open $2.83; close $2.94)
- Enteromedics Inc. : 2.22% (open $2.7; close $2.76)
- Ophthalmic Imaging Systems : 2.17% (open $0.92; close $0.94)
And the 10 biggest losers:
- Trimedyne Inc. : -13.79% (open $0.145; close $0.125)
- Alphatec Holdings Inc. : -8.17% (open $3.55; close $3.26)
- Oculus Innovative Sciences Inc. (Micromed): -7.56% (open $1.72; close $1.59)
- American Shared Hospital Services : -7.27% (open $3.3; close $3.06)
- Edwards Lifesciences Corp. : -5.62% (open $82.55; close $77.91)
- CR Bard Inc.: -4.18% (open $103.92; close $99.58)
- Masimo Corp. (Masimo Americas) : -3.34% (open $30.83; close $29.8)
- Biomerica Inc. : -3.33% (open $0.45; close $0.435)
- Cytori Therapeutics Inc. : -3.08% (open $4.87; close $4.72)
- Synovis Life Technologies Inc. : -2.93% (open $18.41; close $17.87)
Disclaimer: MassDevice.com’s rankings do not reflect an opinion of companies’ health, prospects or viability. They are intended to provide a snapshot of publicly traded medical device companies and in no way constitute a recommendation to buy or sell any particular security, portfolio of securities, transaction or investment strategy.