Our Weekly Checkup takes the temperature of the medical device industry’s three largest U.S. clusters: Massachusetts, California and Minnesota.
Our indices are weighted according to market capitalization, based on the number of shares outstanding for each company from its most recent quarterly report and each Friday’s closing share price.
The Massachusetts index for the week ended July 17 closed at 5.40, up 3.3 percent compared with the prior week but down nearly 5 percent since we began tracking these companies Jan. 1.
The Minnesota index for the week ended July 17 closed at 7.52, up 16.3 percent since last week and up more than 24 percent since Jan. 1.
The California index for the week ended July 17 closed at at 4.32, up 21.2 percent since last week and up nearly 29 percent overall since Jan. 1.
We also create a composite index of the three regional indices and compare it with four other indices (the S&P 500, the Dow Jones Industrial Average, the Dow’s IHI medical devices index and the NASDAQ exchange):
The Weekly Checkup also compares Monday morning’s opening share prices with their value when the markets close Friday afternoon to calculate the biggest gainers and losers.
Here are the 20 firms that posted the biggest share price gains and losses during the week ended July 17:
The 10 biggest gainers:
- SeraCare Life Sciences Inc. (MA): 44.3% (open $1.15; close $1.66)
- Trimedyne Inc. (CA): 36.8% (open $0.19; close $0.26)
- Imaging3 Inc. (CA): 33.3% (open $0.03; close $0.04)
- Brooks Automation Inc. (MA): 32.6% (open $4.27; close $5.66)
- Aradigm Corp. (CA): 28.2% (open $0.20; close $0.25)
- Intraop Medical Corp. (CA): 24.4% (open $0.016; close $0.02)
- Hansen Medical Inc. (CA): 21.5% (open $2.60; close $3.16)
- Hypertension Diagnostics Inc. (MN): 20.0% (open $0.025; close $0.03)
- Bio-Matrix Scientific Group Inc. (CA): 20.0% (open $0.10; close $0.12)
- Alphatec Holdings Inc. (CA): 19.4% (open $2.99; close $3.57)
And the 10 biggest losers:
- Viking Medical Systems Inc. (MA): -60.0% (open $0.02; close $0.01)
- Biopure Corp. (MA): -58.1% (open $0.16; close $0.07)
- Argonaut Technologies Inc. (CA): -25.7% (open $0.04; close $0.03)
- Inovio Biomedical Corp. (CA): -20.2% (open $0.88; close $0.70)
- Cardima Inc. (CA): -20.0% (open $0.85; close $0.68)
- Ingen Technologies Inc. (CA): -17.5% (open $0.006; close $0.005)
- Quick-Med Technologies Inc. (MA): -15.0% (open $0.60; close $0.51)
- Oculus Innovative Sciences Inc. (CA): -11.2% (open $2.85; close $2.53)
- Emergent Group Inc. (CA): -10.9% (open $7.35; close $6.55)
- AdvanSource Biomaterials Corp. (MA): -10.0% (open $0.20; close $0.18)
Disclaimer: MassDevice.com’s rankings do not reflect an opinion of companies’ health, prospects or viability. They are intended to provide a snapshot of publicly traded medical device companies and in no way constitute a recommendation to buy or sell any particular security, portfolio of securities, transaction or investment strategy.