Our Weekly Checkup takes the temperature of the medical device industry’s three largest U.S. clusters: Massachusetts, California and Minnesota.
Our indices are weighted according to market capitalization, based on the number of shares outstanding for each company from its most recent quarterly report and each Friday’s closing share price.
The Massachusetts index for the week ended July 10 closed at 5.23, down 1.8 percent compared with the prior week. Since Jan. 1, when we began tracking these companies, the index has fallen nearly 8 percent.
The Minnesota index for the week ended July 10 closed at 6.46, down 9.1 percent since last week but up 6.7 percent since Jan. 1.
The California index for the week ended July 10 closed at at 3.56, down 11.5 percent since last week but up 6.2 percent overall since Jan. 1.
We also create a composite index of the three regional indices and compare it with four other indices (the S&P 500, the Dow Jones Industrial Average, the Dow’s IHI medical devices index and the NASDAQ exchange):
The Weekly Checkup also compares Monday morning’s opening share prices with their value when the markets close Friday afternoon to calculate the biggest gainers and losers.
Here are the 20 firms that posted the biggest share price gains and losses during the week ended July 10:
The 10 biggest gainers:
- Viking Medical Systems Inc. (MA): 566.7% (open $0.003; close $0.02)
- Human Biosystems (CA): 149.7% (open $0.08; close $0.20)
- Trimedyne Inc. (CA): 44.4% (open $0.18; close $0.26)
- Ophthalmic Imaging Systems (CA): 23.7% (open $0.38; close $0.47)
- Pressure BioSciences Inc. (MA): 17.1% (open $1.46; close $1.71)
- Cardiogenesis Corp. (CA): 16.9% (open $0.17; close $0.20)
- MKS Instruments Inc. (MA): 14.3% (open $13.35; close $15.26)
- Volcano Corp. (CA): 11.5% (open $13.25; close $14.77)
- Biomerica Inc. (CA): 10.7% (open $0.46; close $0.51)
- Vascular Solutions Inc. (MN): 8.7% (open $0.69; close $0.75)
And the 10 biggest losers:
- Hansen Medical Inc. (CA): -45.9% (open $4.82; close $2.61)
- Ingen Technologies Inc. (CA): -37.5% (open $0.009; close $0.006)
- AdvanSource Biomaterials Corp. (MA): -37.5% (open $0.32; close $0.20)
- Xtent Inc. (CA): -35.2% (open $1.05; close $0.68)
- Synovis Life Technologies Inc. (MN): -27.3% (open $20.62; close $15.00)
- Imaging3 Inc. (CA): -25.0% (open $0.04; close $0.03)
- Intraop Medical Corp. (CA): -20.0% (open $0.02; close $0.016)
- Molecular Imaging Corp. (CA): -14.3% (open $0.001; close $0.0008)
- Aradigm Corp. (CA): -20.0% (open $1.05; close $1.19)
- Trimedyne Inc. (CA): -19.1% (open $0.24; close $0.19)
- Oculus Innovative Sciences Inc. (CA): -16.7% (open $3.30; close $2.75)
Disclaimer: MassDevice.com’s rankings do not reflect an opinion of companies’ health, prospects or viability. They are intended to provide a snapshot of publicly traded medical device companies and in no way constitute a recommendation to buy or sell any particular security, portfolio of securities, transaction or investment strategy.