Our Weekly Checkup takes the temperature of the medical device industry’s three largest U.S. clusters: Massachusetts, California and Minnesota.
The MassDevice Indices are weighted according to market capitalization, based on the number of shares outstanding for each company from its most recent quarterly report and each Friday’s closing share price.
The Massachusetts index for the week ended Jan. 1 closed at 5.32, up 7.2 percent compared with the prior week. Since Jan. 1, 2009, when we began tracking these companies, the index has risen 20.1 percent.
The Minnesota index for the week ended Jan. 1 closed at 3.47, down a hair compared with the prior week. Since Jan. 1, 2009, when we began tracking these companies, the index has risen 17.7 percent.
The California index for the week ended Jan. 1 closed at 8.34, down two-thirds of a percent compared with the prior week. Since Jan. 1, 2009, when we began tracking these companies, the index has risen 96.5 percent.
We also create a composite index of the three regional indices and compare it with four other indices (the S&P 500, the Dow Jones Industrial Average, the Dow’s IHI medical devices index and the NASDAQ exchange):
The Weekly Checkup also compares Monday morning’s opening share prices with their value when the markets close Friday afternoon to calculate the biggest gainers and losers.
Here are the 20 firms that posted the biggest share price gains and losses during the week ended Jan. 1:
The 10 biggest gainers:
- Patient Safety Technologies Inc. (CA): 35.71% (open $1.40; close $1.90)
- Urologix Inc. (MN): 33.09% (open $1.39; close $1.85)
- Cardiogenesis Corp. (CA): 27.78% (open $0.18; close $0.23)
- Enteromedics Inc. (MN): 24.44% (open $0.45; close $0.56)
- AdvanSource Biomaterials Corp. (MA): 21.74% (open $0.23; close $0.28)
- Angeion Corp. (MN): 14.89% (open $3.56; close $4.09)
- Cambridge Heart Inc. (MA): 14.29% (open $0.07; close $0.08)
- Psychemedics Corp. (MA): 13.78% (open $6.46; close $7.35)
- Pressure BioSciences Inc. (MA): 12.78% (open $1.33; close $1.50)
- Intraop Medical Corp. (CA): 12.50% (open $0.40; close $0.45)
And the 10 biggest losers:
- Vision-Sciences Inc. (MA): -7.52% (open $1.33; close $1.23)
- HepaLife Technologies (MA): -6.67% (open $0.15; close $0.14)
- Viking Medical Systems Inc. (MA): -6.45% (open $0.31; close $0.29)
- Iridex Corp. (CA): -5.25% (open $3.24; close $3.07)
- World Heart Inc. (CA): -5.24% (open $4.96; close $4.70)
- Imaging3 Inc. (CA): -5.19% (open $0.77; close $0.73)
- American Superconductor Corp. (MA): -4.71% (open $42.92; close $40.90)
- Brooks Automation Inc. (MA): -4.67% (open $9.00; close $8.58)
- NMT Medical Inc. (MA): -4.63% (open $2.59; close $2.47)
- NeuroMetrix Inc. (MA): -4.63% (open $2.59; close $2.47)
Disclaimer: MassDevice.com’s rankings do not reflect an opinion of companies’ health, prospects or viability. They are intended to provide a snapshot of publicly traded medical device companies and in no way constitute a recommendation to buy or sell any particular security, portfolio of securities, transaction or investment strategy.