Medical device companies have enacted layoffs for nearly 1,200 workers in California since the beginning of July, according to the Golden State’s Employment Development Dept., including some of the biggest names in medtech:
- Alphatec Spine (NSDQ:ATEC) laid off 99 employees at a facility in Carlsbad in early July.
- Boston Scientific (NYSE:BSX) cut 284 positions in Fremont and another 171 in San Jose.
- Abbott (NYSE:ABT) eliminated 81 jobs at its Abbott Vascular operation in Santa Clara and another 163 at an Abbott Vascular plant in Temecula.
- Zimmer Biomet (NYSE:ZBH) laid off 269 from its Zimmer Biomet Dental division in Carlsbad and 10 employees from its Zimmer Biomet unit there.
- Becton Dickinson & Co. (NYSE:BDX) cut 95 positions at new subsidiary CareFusion‘s San Diego base.
- Medtronic (NYSE:MDT) plans to eliminate 21 jobs at its Medtronic Distribution operation in Mira Loma, effective Jan. 6, 2016.