Massachusetts-based women’s health devices maker Hologic (NSDQ:HOLX) got some attention on Wall Street after releasing a preliminary earnings report predicting that it would meet or exceed expectations for the 3rd quarter.
Hologic announced that it expects to beat its 34¢ guidance as sales of its Dimensions 3D breast tomosynthesis systems are ramping up more quickly than anticipated.
The device maker has already attained more 45% of its 2-year goal of installing between 500 and 700 of the new 3D systems in the U.S., and expects to reach 60% of the goal by the end of the year.
Hologic also provided updates on its $3.7 billion acquisition of Gen-Probe, which is expected to close August 1.
"We are making great progress toward completing the acquisition of Gen-Probe, which will strengthen our growing diagnostics portfolio and advance our presence in the overall molecular diagnostics market," Hologic president & CEO Rob Cascella said in prepared remarks. "The global outlook for diagnostics is compelling and as a combined company we expect to capitalize on the significant opportunities in the market."
Natus to lay off 8% following Nicolet acquisition
Natus Medical (NSDQ:BABY) plans to lay off 95 workers following its $58 million acquisition of Nicolet, which represents 8% of the combined workforce of the pair of companies. Read more
Mako Surgical lowers guidance
Mako Surgical (NSDQ:MAKO) watched its shares plunge this week after the company lowered its guidance on 2012 sales of its RIO surgical robots. MAKO shares dove 40% on Tuesday, July 10, to close at $14.01, compared with a closing price of $24.61 the night before. Read more
Echo Therapeutics signs exclusive agreement for Prelude SkinPrep
Echo Therapeutics (NSDQ:ECTE) signed an exclusive distribution agreement with Ferndale Pharma Group for right to sell the Prelude SkinPrep system in the U.S., Canada, Mexico and the U.K. Read more
- Ancor Capital and Merit Capital acquire Canada-based Uplift Technologies
- Luminex nabs molecular diagnostics maker GenturaDx
- Customer relations company Merkle buys mobile health app maker 5th Finger
- Sorin Group puts $8M into mitral valve tech maker Cardiosolutions
- Abiomed (NSDQ:ABMD): Zacks Investment Research downgrades from "outperform" to "neutral"
- AthenaHealth (NSDQ:ATHN): ISI Group initiates coverage at "overweight" with $94 price target
- Becton Dickinson & Co. (NYSE:BDX): Canaccord Genuity reiterates "hold" rating
- Bruker Corp. (NSDQ:BRKR) : Cantor Fitzgerald initiates coverage at "buy" with $16 price target.
- Bruker Corp. (NSDQ:BRKR) : ISI Group initiate coverage with "market weight" rating and a price target of $14.50
- Cardinal Health (NYSE:CAH): J.P. Morgan reiterates "overweight" rating
- Cerner (NSDQ:CERN): ISI Group initiates coverage at "market weight" with $87 price target
- C.R. Bard (NYSE:BCR): Piper Jaffray raises price target from $92 to $102, maintains "neutral" rating
- Danaher (NYSE:DHR): Morgan Stanley reiterates "overweight" rating a price target of $60; ISI Group initiated its coverage "market weight" rating and a price target of $56
- Edwards Lifesciences (NYSE:EW): Piper Jaffray reiterates "overweight" rating, raises price target from $90 to $118; Credit Suisse downgrades from "outperform" to "neutral", raises price target from $99 to $110
- Henry Schein (NSDQ:HSIC): ISI Group initiates coverage at "underweight" with $74.50 price target
- Hologic (NSDQ:HOLX): ISI Group initiated coverage with "overweight" rating and a price target of $21; Leerink maintains "outperform" rating; ISI Group initiates at "overweight" with $21 price target; Canaccord Genuity reaffirms "buy" rating
- Insulet (NSDQ:PODD): Shares under pressure after CL King initiates coverage with a "sell" rating and downside $18 price target
- Intuitive Surgical (NSDQ:ISRG): Needham & Company maintains a "hold" with a price target of $535.00; Needham & Co. maintains "hold" rating, $535 price target
- Luminex (NSDQ:LMNX): JP Morgan reiterates "underweight" rating reduces price target from $18 to $17
- McKesson (NYSE:MCK): ISI Group initiates coverage at "overweight" with $104 price target
- Medtronic (NYSE:MDT): Trefis initiates coverage with $41 price target
- Sirona Dental Systems (NSDQ:SIRO): Baird upgrades from "neutral" to "outperform" with $53 price target
- Thoratec (NSDQ:THOR): Goldman Sachs raises rating from "neutral" to "buy", increases price target from $34 to $45
- Varian Medical (NYSE:VAR): Citigroup reiterates its "neutral" rating, reduces price target from $67 to $63
- Volcano (NSDQ:VOLC): Credit Suisse initiates with "outperform" rating and a price target of $36