Premier Inc. added six ophthalmology product companies to its health care group purchasing portfolio, further dispelling concerns that medical device goliath Medtronic Inc.’s (NYSE:MDT) decision to cut ties with the GPO would would spark a trend in the industry.
Premier’s new suite of ophthalmology providers include:
- Ambler Surgical LLC of Exton, Pa., a small business enterprise
- Angiotech of Reading, Pa.
- Anodyne Surgical of O’Fallon, Mo.
- Bausch & Lomb Incorporated of Aliso Viejo, Calif.
- Beaver-Visitec International Inc. of Waltham, Mass.,
- Strategic Business Holdings Inc. of Lake Forest, Calif., a small business enterprise
Medtronic spiked more $2 billion worth of supply contracts with GPOs earlier this year, and The Street responded with enthusiasm and speculation that more med-tech companies would follow suit.
MDT’s shares went up nearly 2 percent after the news broke, and JP Morgan Chase & Co. analyst Michael Weinstein told the Wall Street Journal that spiking the GPO deal represented “a watershed moment” that could send ripples through the entire industry.
Those ripples have failed to materialize.
Premier’s latest partnerships come on the heels of two new cardiovascular contracts that it added at the end of May.
The six new ophthalmology contracts will be available to Premier members July 1, according to the release.