Abiomed (NSDQ:ABMD) shares hit $20.25 apiece yesterday, their highest mark in 52 weeks, as the company touted more positive study results for its flagship Impella heart pump.
ABMD shares closed yesterday at $20.14, up 6.2 percent on a day of widespread gains on Wall Street. The Dow Jones Industrial Average gained 4.2 percent yesterday, the S&P 500 closed up 4.3 percent and the Dow Jones medical device index rose 4.8 percent.
The Danvers, Mass.-based cardiac assist device maker cited the publication of data from the USpella registry for its Impella pump, which is used to augment heart function in patients with heart disease. The new data, published in the Catheterization and Cardiovascular Interventions Journal, shows that the device helped high-risk patients during complex percutaneous coronary interventions such as stenting.
The researchers reviewed data from 175 subjects who underwent high-risk PCI with prophylactic support using Abiomed’s Impella 2.5 device, looking for rates of major adverse cardiac events after 30 days and survival rates after a year. At 30-day follow-up, the rate of MACE was 8 percent; the survival rate at 12 months was 88 percent, according to the review.
"The use of Impella 2.5 in high-risk PCI appeared feasible and safe in the real-world setting. The utilization of the Impella 2.5 was successful, resulting in favorable short- and mid-term angiographic, procedural and clinical outcomes," the researchers wrote.
Options market bearish on Medtronic
Options players snapped up quadruple the normal amount of puts on Medtronic (NYSE:MDT) yesterday, indicating that short-term options traders are pessimistic about MDT’s prospects.
Investors traded 11,000 puts yesterday. Medtronic logged 612 option calls and 1,482 puts today, with MDT shares trading at $37.08 as of about 12:25 today, up 1.8 percent. Read more
November’s winners and losers
Notable gainers and losers as of market’s close Nov. 30:
- Abiomed (NSDQ:ABMD): +39.9%
- Hologic (NSDQ:HOLX): +12.7%
- Varian Medical (NYSE:VAR): +9.6%
- Medtronic (NYSE:MDT): +6.4%
- HeartWare (NSDQ:HTWR): +4.6%
- Stryker (NYSE:+4.3%
- C.R. Bard (NYSE:BCR): +4.0%
- Boston Scientific (NYSE:BSX): +3.7%
- Abbott (NSDQ:ABMD): +3.0%
- Smith & Nephew (NYSE:SNN): +2.4%
- Intuitive Surgical (NSDQ:ISRG): +2.1%
- Johnson & Johnson (NYSE:JNJ): +1.6%
- St. Jude Medical (NYSE:STJ): +1.2%
- Covidien (NYSE:COV): +0.2%
- Zimmer Holdings (NYSE:ZMH): -2.1%
- Becton, Dickinson (NYSE:BDX): -4.0%
- Edwards Lifesciences (NYSE:EW): -10.2%
- Olympus (TYO:7733): -14.7%
Analysts’ ups and downs